You know that all too familiar story where your baby has fallen asleep in your arms. Then you carefully lean over the cot and lower them down and as soon as you move away — boom they’re awake and screaming hysterically as if you’re tossing them down a mine shaft.
Or worse, you actually manage to settle them to sleep and they’re completely still and before you know it they twitch or jerk and flail their arms about. Boom, they’re awake. Well, that’s startle reflex for you.
The startle reflex is one of many reflexes that babies are born with. It is an automatic reaction to a loud noise, or the sensation of falling and causes the baby to be startled and flail their arms. So if that baby is falling asleep and suddenly has a startle reflex, it will go from relaxed to hysterical in 0.6 seconds and when their arms move about, they no longer feel the safe environment of the womb – which was once the edges of their little world.
This is why we are encouraged to swaddle babies from birth until the startle reflex has disappeared
Our Koala Hugs newborn swaddle wrap- features hidden arm pockets that gently cocoons your baby’s arms to calm the startle reflex and prevents their tiny hands from escaping and waking them up!
It's design is based on a method of baby wrapping used by many midwives and maternity hospitals.
• Guarantees a perfect and inescapable wrap every time. • Removes the guesswork of complicated baby wrapping. • Removes the need for tight wrapping that can do more harm to your baby's physical development. • Offers flexible ways of wrapping - arms across chest, arms up or down. • Generously sized (120cm x 120cm) for a hip-friendly comfortable wrap. • Accommodates a hip dysplasia hip brace, rhino brace or spica cast.
A reinvention of the traditional square swaddling blanket, our Koala Hugs newborn wrap features hidden arm pockets that gently cocoons your baby’s arms to calm the startle reflex and prevent tiny hands from escaping and waking them up - keeping your baby (and you) sleeping longer.
For many babies, the enjoyment and security of being swaddled is preferred long after the startle reflex has disappeared but unfortunately, swaddling no longer keeps them satisfied. Babies grow stronger and develop ‘Houdini’ skills mastering the art of escaping the swaddle. Or worse have started rolling over while swaddled which poses a safety risk.
The Sleepy Hugs is a uniquely designed sleep sack designed for babies who have outgrown swaddling and prefer unrestricted arm movement but still need some security to calm their startle reflex. yet provides just enough security to combat the startle reflex. It is the perfect sleep suit to help babies transition to free arms without losing sleep. Perfect for tummy rollers.
• Soft breathable organic cotton, won't cause overheating. • Allows baby to sleep in their natural sleeping position. • Safe for when babies start to roll and can no longer be swaddled. • Allows access to their hands for self-soothing. • Fully enclosed arms helps prevent scratching, great for eczema. • Wide sack for healthy hip development. • Bottom opening zipper for easy nappy changes.
Our tiniest Sleepy Hugs sleep sacks are designed to give security and comfort for newborns and young babies, plus our signature zipper design to give the utmost ease to put on and convenience for those sleepy middle of the night nappy changes.
• When you descend your sleeping baby into its cot or bassinet, keep them as close to your body as possible for as long as possible. Hug your baby while you gradually bend over. Then place your baby on the mattress holding them close to your chest for a few seconds before relinquishing contact with your body. Once a slumbering baby feels a mattress on their back, they usually feel secure enough not to flail.
• Swaddle wrap your baby firmly to give them a sense of comfort and security. However, be careful not to wrap too tightly to avoid risk of hip dysplasia and shoulder joint displacement.
• Try using a transitional swaddle baby sleeping bag SLEEPY HUGS® sleep suit, to transition your baby gently from swaddled arms to free arms in no time.
FOR A BETTER NIGHTS SLEEP SWADDLE YOUR BABY
PREVENTS YOUR BABY FROM WAKING FROM A STARTLE REFLEX