Welcoming a newborn into your family is one of the most beautiful, life-changing experiences you’ll ever encounter. Unfortunately, it also means you can kiss sleep goodbye, at least for the next few months.
Newborns rarely sleep for more than two to three hours at a time. Their little bellies just aren’t big enough to hold enough milk to keep them sleeping any longer than that. In saying that, they still need an awful lot of sleep – around 18 hours a day!
Here are a few tips to encourage better sleep during the newborn stage...
1. Keep wake time shortNewborn babies can only tolerate around 45 minutes of time awake. Basically you have time for a feed, nappy change, and a little bit of cuddle and play time, and then it’s time to go back to sleep. Your baby’s primary activity at this age should be sleeping.
2. Differentiate between night and dayBy creating a clear separation between day and night you’ll help teach your baby that daytime is for active play and night-time is for sleep. Adopt an “EAT – PLAY – SLEEP” pattern during the day. And when your baby does wake during the night, keep the lights dim and ensure interaction (eye contact and talking) is kept to a minimum.
A reinvention of the traditional square swaddling blanket, our Koala Hugs newborn wrap features hidden arm pockets that gently cocoons your baby’s arms to calm the startle reflex and prevent tiny hands from escaping and waking them up - keeping your baby (and you) sleeping longer.
3. Consider their comfortHaving spent 9 months curled up in their cosy, warm surroundings, newborn babies have a lot of adjusting to do to cope in the outside world. For this reason, you need to consider carefully what you can do to help them with this
4. Let them practice self settlingAfter the first month or so, try putting your child down in their bassinet or cot to self settle at least once a day. It is best to try when they are drowsy as this gives them the opportunity to fall asleep on their own. If they wake and cry, pick them up, give them a cuddle and once calm, put them back down again.
The Sleepy Hugs is a uniquely designed sleep sack designed for babies who have outgrown swaddling and prefer unrestricted arm movement but still need some security to calm their startle reflex. yet provides just enough security to combat the startle reflex. It is the perfect sleep suit to help babies transition to free arms without losing sleep. Perfect for tummy rollers.
• Soft breathable organic cotton, won't cause overheating. • Allows baby to sleep in their natural sleeping position. • Safe for when babies start to roll and can no longer be swaddled. • Allows access to their hands for self-soothing. • Fully enclosed arms helps prevent scratching, great for eczema. • Wide sack for healthy hip development. • Bottom opening zipper for easy nappy changes.
5. Establish a bedtime routineEstablishing a good bedtime routine right from day one is a great way to help your baby organise days and nights and start to consolidate night sleep more quickly. Start your bed routine with a bath. This is a different experience to anything else that occurs during the day, and your newborn will soon learn that a bath means bedtime is near. Once in bed turn on yourAroma Snoozewith some sleep promoting lavender oil. Read your little one a book, cuddle/feed, wrap them in their swaddle or put them into their sleepsuit, then bed.
AROMA SNOOZE 6-IN-1 SLEEP AID HUMIDIFIER DIFFUSER – THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!
It's a humidifier vaporiser and cool mist diffuser that purifies the air at the same time. It has changing lights including red light which assists melatonin production, it plays white and pink noise, heartbeat sounds and lullabies, and a voice recorder so you can record your own loving words that is familiar to your little one. R– THIS IS A GAME CHANGER!
Comes with a 15ml certified organic ‘Snooze’ Pure Essential Oil Blend (worth RRP $21.95).
We bring you the latest diffuser/vaporiser technology underpinned by evidence-based research on the science of sleep.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ MULTI FUNCTIONAL Terrific! This product does so much, the light is fantastic and the sounds are all good. The humidifier is just a bonus. Would definitely recommend, I’ve already got two. Stella G.
SOME THINGS TO KNOW FOR YOUR SANITY: IT'S COMPLETELY NORMAL FOR NEWBORNS TO WAKE FREQUENTLY.TAKE THINGS ONE DAY AT A TIME.FOLLOW YOUR INSTINCTS BECAUSE THIS IS SOMETHING WE MAMAS HAVE - AND TRUST IT.WHEN IN DOUBT, DON'T BE AFRAID TO REACH OUT FOR HELP